Motor Mouth is potty trained but is having some issues staying dry at night. These are my adventures in helping Motor Mouth achieve nighttime dryness on a regular basis.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

More Strategies


I'm reading up on strategies on the Internet. I found this bed wetting article on WebMD and found it to be very neutral and informative. 

We've stopped giving milk at bedtime. We had already reduced the amount of milk from a full sippy cup, to barely the bottom of the cup. Now, it is water in the cup. We don't usually have pop in our house. Now, if we have some, we are even less inclined to let the kids have it with dinner. 

Even though the peer competition worked for getting Motor Mouth potty trained in the first place, it is not working with nighttime dryness. So, we have abandoned the negative comments and are back to positive reinforcement.

I will not give my child medication to stop bedwetting. There has to be another way. Ditto bed wetting alarms. There has to be another way. Like I said in a previous post, kids have been bed wetting for centuries. Bedwetting alarms is relatively new. Surely, there has to be another way.

Ted Haggard was on the Oprah Show and talked about bedwetting as a kid. It was likely related to him being molested. It made me think. I am with the kids 24/7. The only time I am not with them, they are in group settings. I can assure you I am not molesting my kids, so we are ruling this one out.

I have a calendar and am asking Motor Mouth to inform me each time he has a bowel movement. I'm also charting his wet and dry nights. Okay. I'm charting his wet nights as there are no dry nights. 

Last night, I had Motor Mouth pee in the potty twice before bedtime. He still wet. 

Next steps:
1. Get Motor Mouth sleeping by 9 pm so I can wake him up to go potty around 11 or 12 when I go to bed.

2. Stop the pull-ups at bedtime. Maybe he can't feel it being wet because of the bulk of the pull up. If he were in underwear, he would feel himself wetting.

3. Set the alarm for 2 am to take him to the potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment